Thursday 30 September 2010

Characters and Places

I have a huge pile of ideas that I struggle to put into words, even with the Thesaurus app on my phone! I have a plotline, but no main character, or I have two fabulous characters with amazing personalities, but no story. To try and fire my brain up I have been reading a few books this week. Largely Tales From Outer Suburbia by Shaun Tan, which I have only just discovered and it's arguably not really a children's book, but it's just so surreal! It's a series of short stories and beautiful illustrations that I could not put down.

Anyhoo, I occupied myself by trying to put my own characters into their own environment. Very experimental at this stage, but we'll see how it goes. I've tried to keep it light and colourful because often my style tends towards the darker side.

Real life Maurices, Harrys, Lolas and Mias are available to purchase here. Each kOodle cometh in its own little box with a badge and a little booklet about it.

1 comment:

  1. I have 3 Shaun Tan books now - the stories are fabulously odd and the drawings are awesome. Good luck with your new character & story building. x

    ReplyDelete